Monday, January 14, 2019

Are You Lost?


 

Several weeks ago, I got into my car to drive to another city so I could spend Christmas with family. It'd been a few years since I had been to this large city, but I was confident I knew the way.  I left later than I should have, right after church, and it was dark by the time I reached the outskirts of the city. I still needed to get off the interstate to get to my family's house.
It was rather surprising that the city had grown to the point of now having three or more highway lanes since I’d last visited. Between watching traffic and reading road signs, I was so distracted I took the wrong exit from the interstate.  Stopping at a gas station, I asked for directions.  Got back on interstate and tried again.  Took another wrong turn.  This time, I ended up in a dark area.

So I called my family to let them know I was lost.  Unfortunately, I was unable to tell them where I was, so they wouldn't have been able to find me.  Someone suggested I use the Google map.  Being nervous, I wasn't able to get that, or another map app which I was more familiar with, to work.  So I drove some more.  And prayed.

On my way to go back to the interstate, I looked across the intersection and noticed a Walgreens and a Lowe's.  Instead of turning to go to the interstate, I decided to head to Lowe's. At least I could go inside the store and be safe, since I was in a bad area of town. 
Again, I turned wrong and ended up at Walgreens instead.  I went inside to ask for directions.

The cashier was going to write down the directions for me as soon as she had a moment. As I waited for the cashier to check out several customers, I noticed a customer stepping back out of the way after being checked out.
I called my family again.  By this time, I was afraid, and so was my family. The lady who’d stayed behind after being waited on stepped up beside me and offered to show me the way to the road I wanted to drive to.

The woman got into her car and I followed gratefully. Instead of taking me by way of interstate, she took me all the way to the road I needed to be on. She guided me to a store down the road from my family, and I called them again from there. This guardian “angel” stayed with me until my family arrived.  And was I glad to see them! We thanked the woman who had helped me and I went home with my family.

I didn't know it till I got back home to my own city and went to church, but my church family had been praying for my safety.  Along with some friends.  And the Lord had heard every word.  He answered all of our prayers. He led me to the store where I met the woman.  He arranged for her to be there at just the right time.  And on top of that, she was a Christian.

I am so thankful that Christ hears and answers prayer.  He takes care of His children.  He meets our every need in just the right way.  It may not be the way we want it, but our need is met in the way that is best for us.  Because of this experience, I learned that next time, I need to leave earlier in the day.

All of us have been lost in our spiritual lives.  But when we call on Jesus, ask Him into our hearts, He hears us.  He comes into our hearts, saves us from our sins, and gently shows us the right way to go. Because of His grace, no longer do we need to wander around lost.