Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Complaints and Thankfulness

There is a time for everything.  Seasons, health, drought.  The Bible teaches us there is a time for everything.  Sometimes we complain about the seasons.  Either it's too hot, or it's too cold, too much rain, not enough rain.  Even I tend to complain.  Let me tell you a story.

When I was working one year during the winter season, we were having a pretty good cold spell.  The wind was blowing hard.  The skies were gray.  And it was cold.  Basically, I'm a cold natured person.  I'm most happy when it's hot, because once I get into an air conditioned
building, I'll be all right.  But if I ever get chilled during winter, I am cranky, there's no smile on my face.

This particular year, I was trying very hard to be grateful for all the seasons.  After all, the Lord knows what we need.  Walking to and from the car, I was constantly saying, "Thank you Jesus for the cold weather."  Or, "Lord, it's cold but thank you for the cold."  Or, Lord, I'm trying to not complain about the cold, so thank you."

One day, I walked outside at home, and it was cold.  So I told the Lord, "Ok Lord, it's official, I'm complaining.  It's cold."  But that's the way humans are about everything.  We're never satisfied. 

Wouldn't it be great if instead of complaining about this or that, we simply thanked the Lord for it?  There's always something within our trials to be thankful for.  Just to be able to walk, talk, salvation, family, friends. 

You see, the Lord knows what's best.  If we didn't have any cold weather, then the insects that destroys the farmers' crops wouldn't be killed.  If we didn't have any rain, then the plants, animals, and humans wouldn't have water or food.  There are places where the sun only shines for a little while.  The rest of the time, it's dark.  The Lord had a reason for creating everything.  These things are for our benefit.

What about salvation?  Christ died on the cross so we could have eternal life.  All we have to do is ask him into our hearts, to forgive us of our sins.  It's that simple.  Have you been complaining a lot lately?  Ask the Lord for help to be more thankful.