Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year Resolutions

This is the last day of the year 2018.  Tomorrow will begin a new year, 2019.  It seems each year goes by faster than the previous one.  And each year, people start out with what is known as New Year's Resolutions.  Only to be broken within one day, one week, or several
days/weeks/months.

I have done that myself.  Even with diets.  I don't usually get past the first day without cheating on my diet. As the cartoon cat Garfield says, "diet is die with a "t".
Unfortunately, we as Christians, including myself, make decisions to read the Bible, attend Church, live for the Lord more, only to fail. Living for Jesus is a daily life/walk, not a decision to be taken lightly.  In my opinion, we shouldn't make any decision without carefully weighing the options and commitment. Most of all, allowing Jesus to search our hearts and show us what needs to be changed should be the first step. For we need Him to help us succeed in these decisions.

Recently, I made up my mind to lose weight.  But my decision was due to the fact that I needed to take better care of myself in various ways.  Eat better, exercise, move more.  I realized that if I didn't do something different, my health would fail drastically.  Well meaning friends can give you all the encouragement and support you need.  But until you make up your mind to do something about it, it doesn't do any good for someone to give that encouragement/support.

Do you need a reason to commit to taking better care of yourself?  I have a very good reason.  It's called the temple of God.  Our bodies are the temples of God.  When we become a born-again Christian, the Lord comes into our hearts to live.  When we don't take better care of our "temple", then it becomes in disarray. 

For me, it wasn't about waiting for January 1, 2019 to start taking better care of myself.  It wasn't about a timeline.  It was about pleasing my Lord and Savior.  And taking care of myself.  If I had waited till new years day, I would have already failed in my commitment to make the necessary changes.  So as we ring in the new year, let's forget about new year's resolutions.  Instead, let's make up our minds to make necessary changes in our lives.

The best place to start is by giving your heart and life to Christ.  When you accept Him into your heart as your Savior, you'll have the best partner to encourage you to make the necessary changes in your life.  For He will give you the strength and courage to succeed with your goals for the new year.

Happy New Year.