Monday, April 22, 2019

Walking With God

What does it mean to walk with God?  Why do you walk with a friend?  You stroll with someone because you want to spend time with them.  The Lord wants us to have time with Him for the same reason.  He wants us to have a desire to talk with Him.

A number of years ago, I would go for a walk about 5:30 on summer mornings.  I loved that time, because I would listen to the birds singing.  All of creation looked so clean, refreshing, and the world around me was quiet.  It helped me to relax.  And I spent the time talking with God.  I
praised Him for His creation.  For helping me through trying times.  It wasn't real hot at that time of the morning.  Very few cars passing by on the road.  The peace seemed so serene.  And I felt as though it was only the Lord and me in the world. 

Many times we very often run through our Bible reading, say a quick little prayer, then run out the door to go to work, or perform some other duty.  I'm guilty of doing that myself.  But when we take the time to not only talk to Him but to also listen to Him, especially first thing in the morning, you find your day going much smoother.  Even when things become hairy scary during the day, you find it easier to deal with the issues.

Many technological advances were made in the hopes of making life easier.  Instead, the world has gotten much more hectic.  There's hardly any time to go to Church to worship the Lord.  We can worship Him anywhere, but when you walk into His House to worship Him with other Christians, you find encouragement, closeness, and desire to spend more time with Jesus.

When we do this, He gives us just what we need to serve Him.  Let's take the time to kneel before His feet, pour our hearts out to God and listen to what He has to say to us.  Let's ask Him to forgive us for allowing other things to come before Christ. 

When we kneel at the cross the first time to give our hearts and lives to Him, He takes us into His hands and carries us through the valleys.  But that doesn't have to be the only time we kneel before Him.  We can get on our knees every day and sincerely tell the Lord our troubles.  Let's not only give our hearts and lives to the Lord, but let's walk with the Lord all day long, knowing that He has everything in our lives under control.